NUMB - Lages week 7

oi oi gente! its been a minute since i last emailled and so much has happened since then so this might be a bit long today.. sry in advance. first off saying bye to my mtc fam was reallllly hard. im going to miss them lots. the morning after sis carter and i got on a plane around 4 am where we landed on the beautiful island of floripa! then we met our mission pres and his wife (gr8 ppl), a couple american elders (thank goodness bc translators) and sis smith (my doubskis partner in high school)!! it was sooo nice to see a familiar face. we had a brief lunch w them before they shipped me off to the coldest area here! like its NUMB. trish would not do well here. it was a 5 hr bus ride to get here and you could just see the windows freezing the further we got. twas a cold bus ride one would say. i was with sis aguiar (a brazilian i met in the ctm) but it wasnt super great cause we both speak about the same amount of each others languages so it was a pretty quiet ride. the first thing that happened when we got here was some drunk homies came up to us and started kissing our arms and hands. it got weird real fast. i live in an apartment w my comp, sis hermes and sis aguiar which has been fun but also hard cause most of you know im not the quietest person in the world and theyre all brazillians so i just sit there chillin pretending like i know what they´re saying. basically mute. ive never missed english more! my first night of sleep was brutal haha. i had flashbacks of me camping in january (if you know u know) where youre literally so cold youre basically seizing. i learned a valuable lesson that night. the next night i was more prepared thx to trish for packing me what i thought at the time was so unnecessary, a heated blanket and thermal g´s. bless up. my roomates probs think im insane but gotta do what ya gotta do. my first day was shell shocking but also cool to actually be out in the real world teaching real ppl. we ate lunch at a members house which was actually pretty good. im trying MOST of the food so go me!! they were a super nice fam and i got to play soccer w the kids too so that was fun for me. good thing goal is the same word in portuguese :) a lot of our planned appopintments fell through that day but we did find 3 new contacts. fatima and benton were my favs. fatima started tearing up during the lesson which i think was cause she felt the spirit but who can be sure. not me cause eu nao fallo portuguese muito bom. i didnt do much in the lesssons but i did bear my testimony and say the closing prayer #fluente. the next day was a blessing, for me at least. my comp has back problems so we stayed in our apartment all day so i got to study, unpack and take a nap. apparently i just make my comps feel ill hahah. the following day was pretty discouraging i wont lie. we walked all around our area for a good 8 hrs with not a sinlge lesson. BUT the next day my comp woke up ill again and so did one of my other roomates so i got to go on spits w sis hermes and heres the shock of the century- she speaks english!! like almost fluently. apparently my comp told her not to speak english to me, which was smart but she was definitely an answer to my prayers that day just when i needed it the most! 

if you dont read anything from this email read this...out of this creepy witchcraft cup (not really) that tastes like straight dirt. they legit just pass it around in sacrament or FHE and everyone takes a hit basically. the weirdest thing. here are some pics of me trying it at my bishops house hahah. not the best at hiding my emotions oops!

life is good, but cold, here in Lages! thanks for all the support and prayers!

Love, sista kener


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"by faith all things are fulfilled" - Lages week 66

"divinely redirected" - Lages week 68

Can someone please point me in the direction of Draper, Utah? - Lages week 8